9-Day Pilgrimage | Central Italy: Christianity in Art & Architecture
Florence | Assisi | Rome | Vatican City
All Masses are subject to confirmation. This itinerary can be customized or modified to include additional opportunities for prayer, reflection and devotions.
- Day 1 | Wednesday | Depart for Rome
- Day 2 | Thursday | Arrive in Rome – Florence
- Benvenuti a Roma! Upon arrival in Rome, continue by coach through the Umbrian hills to the Renaissance city of Florence!
- Day 3 | Friday | Highlights of Florence – Afternoon at Leisure
- Guided tour of Florence includes the Accademia, Piazza Del Duomo, Cathedral of Santa Maria del Fiore, Giotto’s Bell Tower, the Baptistery of St. John with the “Gates of Paradise.” Celebrate Mass at the Basilica of the Holy Cross. The afternoon is free to explore Florence on your own.
- Day 4 | Saturday | Sites of St. Francis & Clare in Assisi
- Depart Florence for Assisi. Celebrate Mass at the Basilica of St. Francis. Other visits include the Basilica of St. Mary of the Angels, with its Porziuncola, and sites associated with the lives of St. Francis and St. Clare. Late afternoon, continue to Rome, the Eternal City.
- Day 5 | Sunday | Mass at St. Peter’s Basilica | Imperial Rome
- Latin Mass at the Altar of the Chair followed by the Angelus in St. Peter’s Square, to pray and receive the Holy Father’s Apostolic Blessing. Site visits include Church of St. Peter in Chains, the Ancient Roman Forum, Arch of Titus, Arch of Constantine, Colosseum perimeter, Trajan’s Column and Market.
- Day 6 | | Monday | Vatican Museums & Sistine Chapel | Afternoon at Leisure |Scavi Tour
- Celebrate Mass at the Tomb of St. Peter. Guided museum tour ends with a viewing of Michelangelo’s frescoed ceiling in the Sistine Chapel and tour of St. Peter’s Basilica which houses his famous “Pieta” sculpture. Optional tour of the Scavi is subject to confirmation.
- Day 7 | Tuesday | Basilicas of Rome | Afternoon at Leisure
- Celebrate Mass at the Basilica of St. Mary Major, the Church that honors the divine motherhood of Mary. Your tour of Christian Rome continues to the Archbasilica of St. John Lateran, Scala Sancta, and Basilica of the Holy Cross in Jerusalem. Enjoy the afternoon at leisure (shopping for articles to be blessed at Wednesday’s Papal Audience is recommended).
- Day 8 | Wednesday | Papal Audience| Catacombs| Farewell Dinner
- Attend the General Papal Audience held in St. Peter’s Square. Receive the Holy Father’s Apostolic Blessing. After the audience explore Rome and her outskirts along the Old Appian Way. Visit the Basilica of St. Paul Outside-the-Walls and celebrate Mass at the Catacombs. Evening celebration as we say farewell to Rome!
- Day 9 | Thursday | Return to the USA