8-Day Pilgrimage | Heart of Italy
Assisi | Rome | Vatican City
All Masses are subject to confirmation. This itinerary can be customized or modified to include additional opportunities for prayer, reflection, and devotions.
Customize your itinerary by adding Florence, Padua, Venice, Milan, Ravenna, Orvieto, Siena, Monte Cassino, Capri, or other destinations or shrines.
- Day 1 | Depart for Italy
- Day 2 | Arrive in Rome | Assisi
- Welcome to Rome! Upon arrival, continue to Assisi. Visit the Basilica of Santa Maria degli Angeli, with its "Porziuncola." Celebrate Mass at the Basilica of Santa Maria degli Angeli in Assisi. See the Capella del Transito and the thornless rose garden.
- Day 3 | Sites of St. Francis and St. Clare in Assisi | Rome
- Celebrate Mass at the Tomb of St. Francis. Guided visits include the Basilica of St. Francis and the Basilica of St. Clare. See her relics and the San Damiano Cross. Continue to Rome.
- Day 4 | Tour of Imperial Rome
- Celebrate Mass at the Altar of the Chair in St. Peter's Basilica, followed by the Angelus in St. Peter’s Square. Tour Imperial Rome, including the Church of St. Peter in Chains, ancient Roman Forum, Arch of Titus, Arch of Constantine, perimeter of the Colosseum, Trajan’s Column, and the Market.
- Day 5 | Vatican Museums and Sistine Chapel | St. Peter’s Basilica | Scavi Tour
- Celebrate Mass at the Tomb of St. Peter. Enjoy a guided tour of the Vatican Museums, ending with a viewing of Michelangelo’s frescoed ceiling in the Sistine Chapel. Tour St. Peter’s Basilica, which houses his famous “Pietà.” Optional tour of the Scavi (subject to confirmation).
- Day 6 | Basilicas of Christian Rome
- Celebrate Mass at the Basilica of St. Mary Major. Continue to the Archbasilica of St. John Lateran, Scala Sancta, and the Basilica of the Holy Cross in Jerusalem. Free afternoon to explore Rome on your own.
- Day 7 | Papal Audience | Catacombs
- Attend the General Papal Audience held in St. Peter’s Square and receive the Holy Father’s Apostolic Blessing. Explore Rome and her outskirts along the Old Appian Way. Visit the Basilica of St. Paul Outside the Walls. Celebrate Mass at the Catacombs. Farewell dinner at a restaurant in Rome.
- Day 8 | Return Home