10-Day Pilgrimage | Southern Italy: Shores and Shrines
Naples | Amalfi | Capri | Pompeii | San Giovanni Rotondo | Rome | Vatican City
All Masses are subject to confirmation. This itinerary can be customized or modified to include additional opportunities for prayer, reflection, and devotions.
Customize your itinerary by adding Florence, Padua, Venice, Milan, Ravenna, Orvieto, Siena, Monte Cassino, or other destinations or shrines.
- Day 1 | Depart for Italy
- Day 2 | Arrive in Rome | Sorrento
- Welcome to Rome! Upon arrival, continue to the coastal town of Sorrento, facing the Bay of Naples. Celebrate Mass at Sorrento Cathedral.
- Day 3 | Capri
- Celebrate Mass at St. Francis Church. Take a high-speed ferry to Capri Island in the Bay of Naples, famed for its rugged landscape and Blue Grotto. Free day to explore Capri on your own. Shop in the Piazzetta and along Via Camerella. See the famous Faraglioni rock formations. Return to Sorrento.
- Day 4 | Pompeii
- Full-day excursion to Pompeii. Explore the ancient Roman ruins of Pompeii, destroyed and buried by the eruption of Mount Vesuvius in 79 A.D. Celebrate Mass at the Shrine of the Virgin of the Rosary of Pompeii. Return to Sorrento. Free afternoon to explore Sorrento on your own.
- Day 5 | Positano | Amalfi | San Giovanni Rotondo
- Drive along the Amalfi coast road, famous for its breathtaking views of the mountainous coastline and Mediterranean Sea. Stop in Positano and Amalfi town. Celebrate Mass at the Cathedral of St. Andrew. Visit the crypt and reliquary of St. Andrew. Continue to San Giovanni Rotondo.
- Day 6 | San Giovanni Rotondo | Monte Sant'Angelo
- Celebrate Mass at the Tomb of St. Padre Pio. Today is dedicated to sites associated with the life of the humble Capuchin Priest, St. Pio of Pietrelcina. Take a scenic drive through the Gargano Peninsula to visit the Shrine of St. Michael the Archangel.
- Day 7 | Manoppello | Rome
- Leave San Giovanni Rotondo for Rome. En route, stop in the town of Manoppello. Visit the Sanctuary of Volto Santo (Sacred Face). Celebrate Mass at the Shrine of the Holy Face. Continue to Rome.
- Day 8 | Vatican Museums and Sistine Chapel | Scavi Tour
- Celebrate Mass at the Tomb of St. Peter. Enjoy a guided tour of the Vatican Museums, ending with a viewing of Michelangelo’s frescoed ceiling in the Sistine Chapel. Tour of St. Peter's Basilica, which houses his famous “Pietà.” Optional tour of the Scavi (subject to confirmation).
- Day 9 | Papal Audience | Papal Basilicas of Rome
- Attend the General Papal Audience held in St. Peter’s Square and receive the Holy Father’s Apostolic Blessing. Visit the Papal Basilicas of Rome: the Basilica of St. Paul Outside-the-Walls, the Archbasilica of St. John Lateran, and the Basilica of St. Mary Major. Celebrate Mass at the Basilica of St. Mary Major. Farewell dinner at a restaurant in Rome.
- Day 10 | Return Home